Don't Be Skurred (scared)


"Life" is probably one of my favorite comedies of all time. If you've seen it, give yourself a hi-five. If you haven't...I question your life choices. lol On a serious note, I have a point for using this clip and bringing up this movie so let me work it all in. Without giving too much away for those who haven't seen it, Claude Banks (Martin Lawrence) and Ray Gibson (Eddie Murphy) are sentenced to life in prison for a crime they didn't commit and they spend a good part of their lives trying to break out.

When they arrive to prison, they find out that there aren't any fences...it almost looks like they can run free; But then they find out about the gunline. It's a line that encircles the prison and if anyone steps outside of that line, the guards have been instructed to SHOOT THEM DOWN! All of a sudden freedom looks so close but so far. I bring this up because "real life"...pun intended... seems to be the same way- a seeable parallel between where you are now and where you want to be.
Have you ever found yourself committed to a life you didn't envision? Do you ever feel your daily life has become a bit of prison? How often do you dream of breaking out? Who or what stops you? If this sounds like an infomercial all I'm selling is a little encouragement and motivation. ;-)

When I was 19, I had a mentor tell me in regards to winning in life, "You have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable." He had a career that entailed him to do a lot of public speaking. Side note - There was a poll taken some years back to identify what is the most common shared fear. 1st place went to public speaking and 2nd went to death. In other words, the person giving the eulogy during a funeral would much rather be in the casket. lol

Muhammad Ali has a quote that goes: "I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit, suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." He turned what was very uncomfortable for him into a comfort zone and became the best pound for pound fighter in history. When I talk about comfort zone it can apply to any area of your life- financial, spiritual, personal, health, career...wherever you can develop a comfort zone. The word that stood out to me in the quote was "suffer" lol. Most don't like facing failure so we often look for the path of least resistance...I know I do sometimes...but we all know the things worth having very rarely come easily and without sacrifice. I often ask myself, "What will you risk to seek your reward?" Note that risk and seek are action verbs. One calls for you to give up one thing while the other calls for you to get out and actively look for another.

One of the most beautiful things in life to me is free will. We are always free to choose our own path and just like the movie "Life" there are no fences. We set our own gunline and at any time we can expand it or break free of whatever vision we're not committed to. If you're willing to let go of what has become comfortable for you to seek the reward just beyond your comfort zone, I believe with faith and a little action, we can all become champions in any area of our lives. Do you?

Take a risk, don't be skurred!

Connect With Me:
Twitter: @B_Wellington
Youtube: BrandenWellington



Keep Growing, Keep Going




2 comments:

  1. Well said son. A lot of truth in this. Again well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie is a great one. It is a must see. Life is really what you want it to be and what you make of your life. Well said makes a lot of sense.
    G-Ma oh yea I am Anonymous,,,lol

    ReplyDelete